Twitter is blowing up right now, and it’s easy to see why. It’s extremely addictive, and very easy to update assuming you have unlimited texting on your phone. Not being tied to a computer is, I believe, one of Twitters biggest advantages over similar offerings like Pownce.
But did you know you can do lots of other stuff with Twitter besides keep in touch with friends? Here’s a short list I’ve put together…
1. track your gas mileage
2. Read “headlines” in a newspaper-like layout
3. Track packages from UPS, FedEx, USPS, and DHL (thanks John C. Dvorak for twittering this)
4. Use an RSS feed to keep track of high priority websites. (it doesn’t have to be your website, got something you wish had a twitter feed but doesn’t, like a surf report or local news headlines? Put their RSS feed into this website and follow them)
5. You can see what people love, hate, wish for or several other options.
6. With a little elbow grease you can know when to water your plants.
Okay, the last one is a stretch, but the first three are genuine useful applications that have surfaced using the Twitter interface. I love it!